Our Language Sensitivity
NÛN Schools aims for its students to become individuals who, as world citizens, complete their experiences in their mother tongue and develop it in different languages, taking into account their needs and interests, and who can express themselves in more than one language by using different resources and communication ways. Our institution, which believes that language learning is a set of social actions, wants to raise students who are interested in learning different languages with the model of learning by experience. It accepts all teachers as language teachers and implements the Turkish National Education curriculum within the framework of PYP, MYP, DP. The following principles were prepared by the teachers and shaped by the different opinions of the parents and students. This policy document is reviewed annually by the school community and necessary adjustments are made.
Our primary goal in English education program, which we have prepared by taking into account the differences and learning characteristics of our students, is to teach our students English as a means of communication. We intend to enable them to gain the skills of doing academic research, accessing different sources, reading books, writing, interpreting what they see, hear and read, expressing themselves in impromptu or extemporaneous speeches, and critical thinking. Furthermore, we aim to see language as a tool and qualify them to use the language they have learned in their social lives. Additionally, we know that foreign language is the most important key that will open the doors for our students to become world citizens and to have intercultural interaction. In line with these issues, we follow a program that only gives sufficient weight to grammar. In addition to the written and oral practice studies that will enable students to gain daily language skills, we also receive support from sources other than textbooks for the development of academic research and writing skills.
Language of Instruction
- The language of instruction in our school is Turkish. Language is used in the inquiry unit of every subject except English, which is created within the framework of the national curriculum, for students to create meaning and to develop transdisciplinary connections.
- Language is an effective tool for expressing feelings, thoughts and experiences and creating meaning about the world.
- Language skills support the development of students in different fields. In our classrooms, there are reading corners created by the students themselves. The bookshelves in these corners consist of books that support inquiry and whose content is appropriate for age groups.
- While doing research during the inquiry process, both visual and digital resources in different languages in our library are actively used by our students. During this research, resources classified according to PYP, MYP and DP themes enable our students to access information more easily.
- In our school, media literacy is handled from two perspectives. Our priority is to enable students to access content in the media and to develop their skills in using technology. Secondly, we want to ensure that they interpret, evaluate, and understand the content presented. In the media section of our school library, it is aimed that students learn the ways of accessing information, make analysis and synthesis, and give importance to academic honesty in the information they reach.
With the shared tablets in our school, it is aimed to increase the quality of education, to support the learning of students and to train individuals who use technology in education correctly.
- English is taught from the kindergarten as well as the main language of Instruction. With the belief that every teacher contributes to language teaching, our aim is to develop the reading, writing, listening and speaking skills of learners by creating a foreign language basis.
- In addition to English, students at middle and high school also receive Arabic lessons. Students are introduced to a third foreign language in high school within the scope of IB DP and gain the ability to express themselves in different languages and to understand the world in a wide framework.
- Various online portals are used in order to contribute to the development of our students' reading, listening and speaking skills.
- All of our students have passwords to access online encyclopedias.
- In every area where student products are displayed, board tags in three languages are used in order to provide different language familiarity to the school community and to provide explanations to people who speak different languages.
- In order to enable students to see English as a learning tool, bilingual (Turkish - English) education is provided in some branch courses and excursions. Active and practical application is made by combining Turkish and English in science applications and visual arts courses to develop a positive attitude towards language learning.
Assessment and Evaluation in Language Education
- The main purpose of assessment and evaluation in language education is to determine the cognitive, sensory and psychomotor skills of the students correctly and to plan the education accordingly. For this purpose, "Readiness Exams" are given to each student at the beginning of the semester. Students are placed in classes suitable for their level by applying placement tests for English and Arabic courses. They are also provided with the planning of differentiation studies to be carried out throughout the year.
- During the process, the development processes of the learners are monitored, and a road map is drawn by using various assessment tools (observation form, rubric and checklist). The progress of the students is shared with the parents through the progress reports prepared every quarter.
- In our language lessons, formative assessment and six summative assessment exams are applied in order to constantly monitor the development of our students' language skills and to provide appropriate support. All these exams are designed to test the development of all the skills of our students.
- Our students display the knowledge and skills they have acquired throughout the year with performances at appropriate times. Before and after these presentations, they have the opportunity to reflect on the process. With these presentations, parents have the opportunity to monitor and evaluate the development of the process.
Differentiation in Language Education
- Necessary arrangements are made in the education program in order to meet the needs of students whose mother tongue is not Turkish.
- Considering individual differences, necessary differentiation techniques are applied in the educational content and assessment and evaluation tools in the classroom for students who need additional study.