Language of Education
- The language of education is Turkish in NUN Schools.
- Language is an effective tool in expressing emotions, thoughts and experiences as well as finding meaning in world.
- Language skills support student development in various aspects of education. Students have their own reading corner in classrooms. The bookcases in these corners have inquiry based learning books appropriate to their age.
- Students use visual and digital sources actively in their research. PYP, MYP and DP classified resources are easily accessible by the students.
- Media literacy is regarded in two aspects, the first aims to gain students the ability to reach content and improve their use technology. The second aspect of media literacy is about understanding content, reviewing and commenting on it. In the media section of our school library, students learn ways to reach information, analyze and synthesize it and be diligent about academic integrity. The books in the library is recorded in our studio by the school community as we believe audio books help students speaking and listening
- English is the second language of education starting to be taught from preschool years.
- Arabic is taught in addition to English in middle and high school years. In high school within the fame of DP, students are introduced to a third language. They gain the ability to perceive world in a wider spectrum as they become fluent in other languages.
- Online portals such as Raz Kids and Big Universe is utilized to support students reading, listening and speaking abilities.
- All students have online access to Britannica encyclopedia.
- In every student exhibition and school community’s common areas three different languages are used for signboards.
- Some classes and school trips are bilingual. To grow a positive attitude towards language learning; scientific practices and visual arts classes too have active and practical use of English in instruction.
EVALUATION AND ASSESSMENT IN LANGUAGE EDUCATION
- At the beginning of each term NUN applies readiness assessment test to students. The reason behind is to determine individual cognitive, emotional and psychomotor levels and plan education accordingly.
- Learners development process is observed through (observation form, rubric and check list) and a road map is determined for each student. At the end of each quarterly these development reports are shared with parents.
- To follow up with the development of students, six assessment tests are given. These tests are designed to assess the development of student language progress skills.
- Students perform and exhibit the things they have learnt throughout the year in designated times. They have a considerable amount of time to think and internalize what they have learnt. The presentations by students give parents the opportunity to follow up and observe the progress of their children.
CUSTOMIZED LANGUAGE EDUCATION
Non-native Turkish speaking students have a customized educational plan. They are supported accordingly in their classes and required differentiation techniques are applied.
National Education Ministry’s curriculum is integrated into all education programs in NUN Schools. In this context, our educational materials are prepared according to an integrated values education model with the ideal of keeping the values alive. These values are transmitted to different age groups according to their appropriate age. In case of any hardship in understanding the teachings, our psychological counselors and branch teachers come in help and work on the issues. We support the parental inclusion in this process. IB educational system’s “learner profile” benefits our values education too as IB learner profile embodies qualities like inquiry, knowledge, thinking, communication, principles, open mindedness, and caring. Monthly topics on these concepts keep students familiar to discussions and they take place in our classes on conceptualizing Quran. Our primary objective with values education is to nurture a society of forward thinking humans, proud of national, religious and spiritual values, responsible, merciful, just, conscientious and descent.